Thursday, February 25, 2010

Are you a digital native?

After watching several video's about being a digital native, it helped me understand why I find working with the computer, operating all the peripherals for the television and using my cell phone can be so frustrating. I am not a digital native. I am an digital immigrant. Not just any ordinary immigrant but an older immigrant. According to one of the videos I watched, a
digital immigrant has trouble learning how to use and function in our new digital world. Presumably, it is harder for our brain to learn a new language when we become older and that learning new digital technology is similar to that. Having not grown up with digital technology that puts me in the category of being a digital immigrant. It is my personal believe that it is just not the fact that the technology is foreign to me but that the technology has glitches in it. For example; my high definition TV was not working but my old analog TV connected via cable directly to the TV, not through a box, worked. My first thought was, there is something wrong with the TV. I grab the TV manual and I go through all the problem solving suggestions and the TV still does not work. To make the story short, there was nothing wrong with the TV. It was a problem with the cable provider. Yes, it may be hard to learn to be a digital native. The problem is not just learning the digital skills and how to apply it coherently, but the fact software glitches and hardware compatibility confuses the understanding. It is similar to how accents and dialects of speech confuses the understanding of a new language.

As far as responding to how digital savvy students should be taught, I would need more information on how the educators feel it should be addressed. Maybe it will evolve by itself as the digital native replaces the digital immigrant. The only other choice would be to educate the digital immigrant first.

No comments:

Post a Comment